Master Set Procedure | Betere weergave voor weinig!

Gestart door cz79, november 24, 2013, 20:02:59

Vorige topic - Volgende topic

cz79

Zoals in mijn eigen topic ook beschreven:

Ik heb een aantal dagen geleden nog een flinke winst weten te boeken met de Master Set Procedure, kost je wel een halve dag maar dan heb je ook wat.
Ben nog niet helemaal klaar, en mijn speakers stonden al bijna goed (op het gehoor) toch is er een aantal cm verschoven en dat kan dus een winst betekenen.

Leuke is dat deze procedure, net als de Wilson Audio Set Procedure (WASP), veel rekening houdt met de woonkamer en de bijbehorende akoestiek, iets wat bij veel andere methodes geheel over het hoofd wordt gezien (Cardas, etc), ze zeggen daar dat het puur mathematisch is maar theoretische berekeningen kloppen niet in elke huiskamer, dus het is gewoon een kwestie van uitproberen, en daar is de Master Set Procedure op gericht.

Je moet wel uitgaan van een goede basispositie, ze zeggen de ratio tussen de onderlingen luidsprekerafstand en zitafstand 1:1. Nu weet ik dat dat bij mij niet kan (eerder 1:1.3), maar mijn uitgangspositie was al niet verkeerd (weet ik door het vele proberen). Ik heb de WASP ook al eerder geprobeerd maar die is echt gemaakt voor USA huiskamerformaat (erg groot) en moeilijk uit te voeren in een gemiddelde NL woonkamer.

Ook kwam ik erachter dat tijdens de Master Set Procedure er punten dicht bij de achterwand zijn waar de tonale balans ook prima is (bijna net zo goed als waar ze nu staan, ruim één meter van de achterwand), maar ik weet ook dat mijn luidsprekers meer diepte weergeven als ze verder van de achterwand staan, dus common sense en kennis van je eigen set is wel handig, aangezien deze procedure zich vooral richt op het tonale karakter (de basis hiervoor is de basweergave).

Ik heb nu in het hele zitgedeelte of ik sta of zit, links of rechts, voor of achter nagnoeg dezelfde klank en dat is ook het doel van deze procedure. Natuurlijk is het op de zitplek NOG beter, maar tonaal gezien is het in het gehele luistergebied egaal, dus geen booming bas voor de luidsprekers maar ook niet 3m verder, ook niet op de grond en ook niet staand.

Voor deze procedure wordt Jeniifer Warnes - Famous Blue Raincoat aangeraden (anniversary edition) en na afloop hoef je dat ene nummer (Ballad of a Runaway Horse) nooit meer te horen  :-D

Ik heb de CD van Jennifer Warnes wel gebrand, andere CD's zullen ook wel voldoen maar ze raden het op iedere site aan deze te gebruiken, dus ik heb hem even gekopieerd en gebrand op CD.
-------------------------------------------
-------------------------------------------
Read and Try:

Master Set Procedures

The Needed Tools:
The only items needed to perform Master Set are your ears, a setup recording, a tape .measure, and a small level. Master Set can be performed by one or two persons.

The Set Up Recording:
Ballad of a Runaway Horse by Jennifer Warnes:
You can find this song on Jennifer Warnes – Famous Blue Raincoat, 20th Anniversary Edition, or Rob Wasserman – Duets, or Trios
This song works because of its simplicity and the steadiness of the voice line and the bass line, especially the bass line.
Other recordings could be used provided that they have a simple steady bass line that is easy to hear. I've found the above song to work best.

Initial Set Up
Remove any bass traps and other room treatments that you may have in the room and turn off the subwoofer, if you have one.
Set the speakers against the rear wall, and perpendicular to it. Speakers should be as far apart as reasonable. Important considerations are to keep speakers 2 to 3 feet away from side walls, and for the listener to be at the point of an equilateral triangle with the speakers. You can measure the dimensions with a tape measure or just make them approximate.
NOTE: Master Set works best if done along the long wall of the listening room, as that best mitigates room reflections, however it can be done along the short wall if necessary. For the first DIY attempt, try and use the long wall.
Because the speakers will be physically moved, it is best to remove any speaker spikes at this time so as to facilitate moving the speaker or stand.
I have found it helpful to use a tape measure laid out perpendicular from the wall when making the speaker movements. The movements need to be kept small and the best way to do this is with the tape measure as a reference otherwise the movements tend to be too large.

Be Patient. Master Set will likely take you from 1 to 3 hours. The movements are small, and at first go it may be a bit hard to hear the differences that I have described. But just keep at it. You can email me if you have questions or difficulty in the procedures.

Step 1: Setting the "anchor" speaker
This step sets one of the speakers as an "anchor" in the room. Either speaker will do. This step also has the goal of finding the smoothest bass response in the room.
First, just listen to the song, and notice the strong steady bass line in the first 2 verses. There are 19 notes in each verse, though the 2nd verse does have some extra 8th notes added. Listen carefully and notice that some of the bass notes have a "plonky" and/or exaggerated sound character. In this step you will be searching for the spot that will smooth out this "plonky" character of the note as it resonates in the room.

With both speakers playing, move the speaker out from wall about 6 inches and toe in the speaker directly to the listening position. Notice as the sound moves from being centered to this side. Continue to move the speaker out in small increments, ½" or so, until the sound is totally from this one speaker. Mark, or make note, of this spot.

Now, continue to move this speaker out from the wall in very small increments, 1/8th" or 2-3mm., and listen to the first 2 verses of the song. You are listening for any difference in the bass response of the 19 notes. Continue these small movements until you find a slight lessening in the bass resonance character. There may be more than one spot where this can occur. However, for keeping this simple, just find the first spot that smoothes out the bass. You may wish to make another very very small movement or two from this spot to find the very best spot.

Note: if you are having trouble discerning any difference in the bass with both speakers playing, you may wish to disconnect the speaker set against the wall temporarily, in order to better hear any bass differences. However it's best to keep both speakers playing.
If you move the one speaker out too far into the room the sound will reconnect with the speaker against the wall, and move back to the center. You do not want this to occur.
It is important to find the best bass in the zone where all sound comes from just the one speaker. That will keep this setting independent from the other speaker when you move the other speaker out into the matching position!

Once the smoothest bass response has been found you can set this speaker into a "final" position and level it. This speaker is now "anchored", and will not be moved again during the procedure.

Step 2: Setting the other speaker.
This step will move the other speaker into place and be adjusted to match the sound pressure of the "anchor" speaker. Move the speaker out from the wall about 6 inches, toeing the speaker directly in to the listening position. Now begin moving the speaker out at very small increments, no more than 1/8th in. or 2-3 mm. at a time, and only listen to the bass line. Continue to move the speaker out at these small increments until you hear a lessening of the bass resonances. Once you find a lessening in the bass make a small movement or two of 1/16th in, or 1-2 mm. and listen for the best response. You will also tend to notice that all of the music tends to smooth out and become much more clean and clear sounding as the two speakers equalize.
NOTE: You may be able to feel the bass resonance in your feet. This makes finding the best bass spot quite easy as the resonance will disappear in your feet.

You have now found the placement spot where the speakers are equally pressurizing the room. This is what you are looking for, and essentially you are done with Master Set.

Step 3: You can tweak the midrange setting at this point by varying the toe in of the speaker by toeing out in 1/16th increments. My own experience is that I have never found any real difference in midrange sound from this procedure.
Also, you can raise the front of the speaker a couple of degrees. This is known as adjusting the rake angle, and I have found this to be a good effect. Set the speaker permanently and level it.

Finalizing:
Now, move to several positions in the room and listen. Notice if the sound stays the same in any location. If there is some movement of the sound as you move around the room, you will have to reposition the second speaker slightly.
If you've done Master Set correctly, the sound will be the same from any listening position in the room as long as you are out a couple feet from a wall. The music will only change in perspective, such as if you move around in a concert venue.
In my current listening room my favored seat is on a perpendicular axis with the right speaker, yet the music is perfectly centered between the two speakers.

Final Comments
The sound you obtain with Master Set should have a perfect left-right stereo image with very clean clear instrumental and vocal sounds.
Listen first to your most favorite songs and recordings and notice how they now sound.
If you have any room treatments or bass traps, you may return them to the room at this time, and note any if there is any change.
Turn the subwoofer back on. You may have to turn it down slightly or reposition it as you will likely hear some bass resonance from the sub. I just turned mine down a bit.

--------------------------------
--------------------------------

cz79

Wellicht ook leuk om eens met forumleden dit bij elkaar te gaan doen, erg leerzaam en wellicht eindigt de dag met een weergave die nog niet eerder is behaald

Whisper.nl

Citaat van: cz79 op november 24, 2013, 20:04:51
Wellicht ook leuk om eens met forumleden dit bij elkaar te gaan doen, erg leerzaam en wellicht eindigt de dag met een weergave die nog niet eerder is behaald

Dank voor het posten van deze info.

Deze aanvulling is ook leuk om te lezen:
In my opinion, trying to do this procedure by yourself is only for the masochist.  Sitting in the preferred seat while the other person moves the speaker , is the way I was taught.

Groet Whisper
De koffie " loopt"  sportiever wordt het niet

xander32

Dank Chris voor het delen van de info en jouw ervaringen in deze, ik ga nu maar snel verder met lezen :-).

cz79

Citaat van: Whisper.nl op november 24, 2013, 20:52:14
Dank voor het posten van deze info.

Deze aanvulling is ook leuk om te lezen:
In my opinion, trying to do this procedure by yourself is only for the masochist.  Sitting in the preferred seat while the other person moves the speaker , is the way I was taught.

Groet Whisper

Dan ben ik een Masochist...hahahaha het kost enkel tijd dus wellicht interessant om nog eens te doen met twee man

cz79

Citaat van: xander32 op november 24, 2013, 21:25:47
Dank Chris voor het delen van de info en jouw ervaringen in deze, ik ga nu maar snel verder met lezen :-).

Het heeft mij winst opgeleverd zonder enige financiele consequentie en dat is (inmo) het leukst

xander32

Citaat van: cz79 op november 24, 2013, 21:38:48
Het heeft mij winst opgeleverd zonder enige financiele consequentie en dat is (inmo) het leukst
... kom er alleen zojuist achter dat je voor deze procedure speakers nodig hebt :|.

:-D

Als ik die straks heb, ze ingespeeld zijn, de basis opstelling okey is en ik helemaal aan de sound heb kunnen wennen, zal ik de procedure eens doorlopen :yes:.

cz79

:schater: :schater: :schater:

Ja had ik misschien me moeten beginnen, mensen let op!!! Je hebt wel ten minste twee speakers nodig im bovengenoemde procedure uit te voeren

JohnWx

Om een filter te doen werken moeten er natuurlijk wel storingen aanwezig zijn, Tja dat is wel een dingetje.

mountainbiker

Citaat van: cz79 op november 24, 2013, 21:38:09
Dan ben ik een Masochist...hahahaha het kost enkel tijd dus wellicht interessant om nog eens te doen met twee man
In een leren outfit? :-o
versterker NAD D3020
Quart 390 versie 1

cz79

xander32

cz79

Ach waar het hoofd vol van is daar stroomt de mond van over

Whisper.nl

Citaat van: cz79 op november 25, 2013, 08:13:14
Ach waar het hoofd vol van is daar stroomt de mond van over

A dirty mind is a joy forever.  pompom
De koffie " loopt"  sportiever wordt het niet